Pages

Friday, March 26, 2010

"This is STRAIGHT UP Goldilocks & the 3 Bears"

That's what I told Bob after I tasted my dakjuk 
(which is a Korean chicken & rice porridge). 

Since I had a bit more time today I thought that I'd try and make the '2 hour porridge' that I didn't make last night. The recipe is super simple, it just takes time. Although there were a few things that confused me. For instance, I'm not quite sure what I was supposed to do with the chicken. I mean, you cook the chicken in the pot, add the rice an hour and half later, and then you take the chicken out right before you serve it. The recipe also talks about 2 'dipping sauces', but it doesn't actually say what it's for... so I'm assuming it's for the chicken... but do you put the chicken in the porridge? Or just eat it separate.

I need play by play directions... otherwise... I just get confused.

As for the dish itself, it tasted pretty good. I like how thick it was, and it's definitely something I'd want to eat when I'm sick. It's comfort food at its best. I added a big handful of spinach (I actually love cooked spinach) and I thought that was a nice touch.

But I gotta keep it real. I don't know how 'food bloggers' do it. I mean, I can barely follow a recipe, let alone remember to take photos... and photos that actually look awesome! I'm sure it doesn't help that I have ugly kitchen counters, and horrible lighting that makes all things look yellow. So that's why you're not seeing a picture of my porridge.

Next week I'm making some cupcakes with a girlfriend, so that should be fun. Maybe I should switch to baking... I can do that when the lighting is better... yeah... that's it.

Oh, and if you want to try and make the chicken and rice porridge, HERE'S where you can find the recipe.

5 comments:

andy and meg said...

I loved reading your cooking post. And I kiiiiinda wish you would have posted a pic-but I'll get over it. I think the spinach was a GREAT addition-I would have never thought of that. Actually, I would have NEVER thought to make porridge in the first place. Just another thing that makes you so cool.

Little Lesiw said...

And because I think YOU'RE so cool, I'm now officially giving you the title of 'Favorite Sister-In-Law'. I've been wanting to do it for a while, but this just seems like the perfect opportunity.

Nancy said...

I wish I could be more adventurous in the kitchen and WANT to try out new recipes. I'm in no way a vegetarian, but I can't stand cooking meat. Well... maybe not cooking meat, it's more about having to touch / handle raw meat. Makes me gag! I'm a way better baker than a cook. Good thing my hubby took 2 years of cooking in college, or we'd be eating cupcakes, cookies and pies 27/7! :)

Kimberly and Ed said...

I need to learn how to make it because Kyles FM would make it for him! I always prefer baking over cooking. I don't know if it because it is easier or that I love to eat dessert:)

Bree said...

I am a food blogger and that recipe didn't make sense to me either. Points for trying.

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates